Dodging giant rolling rocks. Decoding ancient secrets. Choosing the right cup.
You can live your life just like Indiana Jones.
Ok, so maybe dodging giant boulders is a bit risky but you can do what Indiana Jones does.
Choose Work That Supports Your Ideal Lifestyle
That’s what Indy did. Dr. Henry Walton “Indiana” Jones, Jr. became a professor of Archeaology, a job that not only prompted his adventures but also gave him useful insight to solve many of the problems he faced. Being a professor also gave him a flexible schedule. Presumably, Dr. Jones adventured during summer vacation although it seems his class was interrupted on several occasions suggesting he had a substitute fill in for him.
Indy didn’t just do his day job and go listen to his favorite radio show, right? He put that interest in history and archaeology to good use.
So what exactly did Indy accomplish with all this knowledge?
Well, during his career he discovered many ancient artifacts including the:
- Sankara Stones
- Ark of the Covenant
- Holy Grail
- Crystal Skull of Akator
What are you going to accomplish?
Haters Gonna Hate
When you live an unconventional lifestyle it makes people uncomfortable. They may not understand what you’re trying to do. Even if you are successful.
Dr. Jones made all kinds of enemies. From natives to cultists to Nazis, there was always someone at odds with Indy. But he kept going.
Don’t be afraid to ruffle feathers.
“In order to have an enemy, one must be somebody.” – Anne Sophie Swetchine
Look Outside The US
We always hear about how this is a global economy and we have to compete globally. If you’re an American, take a moment to think about careers outside of the United States. Most of us haven’t done this, we expect jobs here at home. But a global economy means a global workplace. Consider the rise of digital nomads, location independence, full-time travelers (and travel bloggers), creating a lifestyle business and the expat lifestyle.
Careers For Adventurers
From Park Ranger to diving instructor, there are a number of career possibilities where you can combine your interests with your work. It is also possible to blaze your own trail as an entrepreneur.
- Park Ranger – As a part of the National Park Service or Fish and Wildlife, you may perform many job functions from law enforcement, helicopter pilot, backcountry work, or interpretation. [More on USAJobs.gov]
- Diving Instructor – If you love to swim and explore underwater, not to mention work in exotic places around the world, consider becoming a dive instructor. Travel to Thailand for amazing dives and low-cost courses. [PADI Instructor or NAUI Instructor]
- English Teacher – Tried and true. The English teacher can live and work in many places around the world – Japan, China, Thailand, South Korea, and many others. Even in places like Spain they need English teachers. You don’t always need a TEFL certification either (although it does help). [TEFL Online]
- Adventure/Tour Guide – There are a variety of options for guides – fishing, cycling, kayaking, trekking, etc. Many jobs are seasonal, but some are year-round. Usually, all you need is demonstrated expertise in a skill and CPR/First Aid training and you’re good to go. [Travel & Adventure Jobs on Matador]
- Bartender – A little surprising, right? But totally doable. You can work in multiple countries as a bartender, serving up drinks, meeting people, and exploring new places. [Learn more from Jeremy at travelFREAK]
Of course there are many other opportunities out there. Plus, many of these jobs lend themselves well to other endeavors. Teach English in Thailand during the week and scuba dive all weekend. Be an Adventure Guide in New Zealand while you hone your wildlife photography skills. Travel to all the top diving locations while working as a Dive Instructor.
Indiana Jones: Anything can happen. It’s a long way to Delhi.
Willie: No, thanks. No more adventures with you, Dr. Jones.
Indiana Jones: Sweetheart, after all the fun we’ve had together?
[More from IMDB]
Ok, so you want a life of adventure. Most likely that includes travel, it probably means testing the limits of your comfort, but it most likely means you’ll be having the time of your life. Now is the time to make your life into an Indiana Jones movie. (Just not like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull…)